Plac Małachowskiego 3
18.06 – 30.09.2018 Plac Małachowskiego 3
curator: Magdalena Komornicka
collaboration: Michał Kubiak, Jenka Minh
visual identity: Jakub de Barbaro
artists: Paweł Althamer, Roman Stańczak i goście, Cezary Bodzianowski, Bogna Burska, Centrum w Ruchu (Iza Chlewińska, Karolina Kraczkowska, Agnieszka Kryst, Ramona Nagabczyńska, Weronika Pelczyńska, Renata Piotrowska-Auffret, Magdalena Ptasznik, Iza Szostak, Karol Tymiński), Zuza Golińska, Maria Hassabi, Anna Karasińska, Katarzyna Krakowiak, Katarzyna Przezwańska, Paweł Sakowicz, Iza Tarasewicz, Gosia Wdowik, Zorka Wollny
How does a building work? What are the first impressions it makes? What do we see in subsequent visits? What is the impact of the building on the employees? And finally, what is it as a declaration of a company? Going beyond the questions asked in the abovementioned study, one may ask about the meaning of the senses, in experiencing, in feeling architecture, and analyse buildings from the perspective of the body, which ‘knows and remembers’, which is a measure of the proportions, dimensions and weight. One can also fantasise and come up with a variety of ‘what if?’
A starting point for the Plac Małachowskiego 3 exhibition, which comprises performances, theatre and dance performances as well as installations and activities taking place over the course of four summer months — from June through September. The exhibition, the main theme of which will be place, will focus around the Plac Małachowskiego, which will be closed for vehicular traffic and made accessible to artists and the public, as well as the gallery building itself, and especially its parts, which are not used for the presentation of works of art on an everyday basis. Artists who have already dealt with architecture and history of Zachęta in the past and those who will deal with it for the first time have been invited to take part in the exhibition. They will have everything — the square with the building, the institution, its employees and audience — at their disposal.
- 28.06 (Thursday), noon–8 p.m. Katarzyna Krakowiak
- 3–8.07 (Tuesday–Sunday) Centrum w ruchu
- 12.07 (Thursday), 7 p.m. Katarzyna Przezwańska, installation (until 30.09)
- 13–30.07 (everyday), noon–8 p.m. Outdoor sculpture workshop. Paweł Althamer, Roman Stańczak and guests
- 19.07 (Thursday), 6 p.m. Cezary Bodzianowski, guided tour
- 28.07 (Saturday), noon Cezary Bodzianowski, guided tour
- 14–19.08 (Tuesday–Sunday), 6 p.m. Paweł Sakowicz, performance, discussions
- 23.08 (Thursday), 6 p.m. Cezary Bodzianowski, guided tour
- 24.08 (Friday), Anna Karasińska
- 24.08 (Friday), 8 p.m. Zorka Wollny, Anna Szwajgier, concert
- 25.08 (Saturday), Anna Karasińska
- 25.08 (Saturday), 8 p.m. Zorka Wollny, Anna Szwajgier, concert
- 26.08 (Sunday), Anna Karasińska
- 26.08 (Sunday), 8 p.m. Zorka Wollny, Anna Szwajgier, concert
- 30.08 (Thursday), 8 p.m. Gosia Wdowik, event
- 31.08 (Friday), 8 p.m. Gosia Wdowik, event
- 1.09 (Saturday), noon Cezary Bodzianowski, guided tour
- 1.09 (Saturday), 8 p.m. Gosia Wdowik, event
- 6.09 (Thursday), 7 p.m. Iza Tarasewicz, installation (until 30.09)
- 14.09 (Friday), Maria Hassabi, performance
- 15.09 (Saturday), Maria Hassabi, performance
- 22.09 (Saturday), noon Cezary Bodzianowski, guided tour
- 29.09 (Saturday), noon Cezary Bodzianowski, guided tour
- 30.09 (Sunday), 8 p.m. Bogna Burska, performative reading of an play— closing of the exhibition
Inaguration of the exhibition "Plac Małachowskiego 3"
Permanent activities during the exhibition
The spatial installation by Zuza Golińska constitutes a three-month intervention into the space of Plac Małachowskiego and the Zachęta — National Gallery of Art building. Three platforms, resulting from the architectural division of the facade, link the space of the institution with the strip of greenery previously inaccessible to visitors. The installation changes the dynamics of entering / exiting the building and the method of movement throughout the square. The titular Left, Right, Center are the indicators of the location of each of the platforms and give the possibility of choice. However, all three platforms lead to the same place.
KatarzynaPrzezwańskain her artistic practice, she often refers to nature and architecture. She combines both of these fields in an effort to improve the quality of human life, constantly trying to make art useful. She is inspired by both vernacular architecture and the 20th-century classics as well as geological phenomena and vegetative processes. Przezwańska is the author of architectural interventions, installations, and paintings, where she often uses natural materials: rocks, minerals, and plants.
The installation was realised in collaboration with the University of Warsaw. In October 2018, as part of the Island project, Fountain will be found in the garden on the Ochota campus.
Katarzyna Krakowiak’s work consists of a performative drawing — a recording of an eight-hour operation on the façade of the Zachęta building. It was created as a result of gradual, methodical cleaning, washing of the walls of the gallery and revealing the architecture. The material was the dust accumulated on the façade, while water was the tool. The drawing, left exposed to dirty air during the exhibition, will gain and lose successive layers deposited and washed away by atmospheric factors.
The gesture, activity and movement itself, as well as the further life of the drawing, were important in the artist’s action, inspired by the history of Zachęta as a cultural institution and the architectural changes of the building.
The drawing is visible on the base of the façade from Królewska Street, as well as on the façade of Zachęta.
Katarzyna Krakowiak. Cut at the Level of the Sky. Video documentation
Plac Małachowskiego 3
18.06 – 30.09.2018
Zachęta – National Gallery of Art
pl. Małachowskiego 3, 00-916 Warsaw
See on the map
Tuesday – Sunday 12–8 p.m.
Thursday – free entry
ticket office is open until 7.30 p.m.